O-Town Graphics

Sunday, September 24, 2006

AABB vs OBB

It seems I can't help but stir controversy. I got an e-mail from the LPSM again - [the] League [of] People Smarter [than] Me. This league is quite large, and no matter how hard I try, they are always there..smarter..better.

However, that is a good thing :-) Because wisdom is meant to be shared. I've just been told that AABB trees generally are superior to OBB trees when it comes to physics because the speed of traversing these trees outmatches any false positives. According to the Erwin, the author of the Bullet open source physics engine, most physics engines use this approach. So I invite anyone to check out his work and its very liberal licensing terms - http://www.continuousphysics.com/Bullet/

Unfortunately my game (huh, what game?) is not intense in the physics dept. so I won't be using the library. However I definately will take a peek under the hood and see if I can learn some new things :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home